This ferment is great served with meat or fish, to help enhance the flavour of the meal.
It also goes really well with slices of orange as a crispy summer salad.
Fermented Rosemary Fennel
- 2TBS of Whey or other culture starter
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1-2 TBS of fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp of good quality salt
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- Thinly slice fennel, and place it in a 1 litre jar, with lemon zest and juice, rosemary, salt and garlic.
- Add whey or starter culture.
- Add filtered water to cover, leaving 1-2 inches of head space and seal
- Let sit on the bench for 3 days to ferment.
- Check the vegetables are below the liquid each day, pushing back down as needed.
- Move to cold storage – Can be stored up to 9 months.