This GAPS cake is actually very much like a regular wheat based cake in texture and flavour with the added deliciousness that hazelnuts bring.
Great for special treats, birthday’s or when you have guests that you want to share a tasty afternoon tea with.
Advanced GAPS – Hazelnut Chocolate Cake
- 150 grams Hazelnut Meal
- 1 cup Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 100 grams butter
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 10 Eggs
- 1 TB vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 -1/2 cup of Dutch Cocoa powder.
- Preheat over to 180 C and grease cake tin.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or thermomix and mix until combined
- Pour into prepared cake tin
- Bake for 50 mins, let cool in tin before turning out.
I cut mine in half and filled it with a layer of raspberries that I turned into a jam, by putting 1 & 1/2cups of frozen berries in a saucepan with a little water and simmering until thick, and a layer of homemade vanilla sour cream. I then topped it with more of the sour cream, with dollops of remaining raspberries on the top and using a knife to swirl together. I then made a chocolate magic ice, with 3 TB of coconut oil and 1tsp of cocoa powder and 1tsp of honey, melted and mixed together and then dripped it over the cake.
I think it is safe to say that everyone was pleased with this cake. In future I might try and use cherries instead raspberries to make a black forest version – Christina
- A special word of note ~ chocolate is an advanced GAPS food for when you don’t have any stomach upsets and like anything on GAPS monitor how your body reacts to it.